Breast Reduction in Birmingham, AL
Also known as reduction mammaplasty, breast reduction is a surgical procedure to remove excess glandular tissue, breast fat, and skin, to create a smaller, shapelier breast, in better proportion with the body shape. This procedure can relieve a range of physical symptoms associated with overly large breasts.
At Schaffer Plastic Surgery in Birmingham, Dr. Christopher Schaffer performs individually-tailored breast reduction procedures with skill, artistry, and dedication to surgical excellence. He has extensive experience in a range of both surgical and non-surgical plastic surgery procedures. All treatments are performed on-site. We are located across from a hospital in case of emergencies.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?
Although many women want larger breasts, women who have overly large breasts know that it is possible to have much too much of a good thing. Cosmetically, over-developed breasts may appear out of proportion with the rest of the body and detract from a graceful, pleasing silhouette. They can attract unwanted attention and lead to feelings of self-consciousness and low self-esteem.
Physically, breasts that are too large for the body can limit activities and lead to a number of health issues. Health problems may include back, neck, and shoulder pain, skin irritation, poor posture, and grooves in the shoulders caused by the weight of heavy breasts pulling on the bra straps.
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery:
- Breasts that are disproportionately large for the body
- Heavy breasts that sag, with the nipples and areolas pointing downward
- One breast significantly larger than the other
- Limited athletic and physical abilities due to breast size
- Poor posture caused by heavy, overly large breasts
- Back, neck and shoulder pain caused by the weight of the breasts
- Shoulder grooves caused by bra straps supporting heavy breasts
- Difficulty sleeping because of breast discomfort while lying down
- Rashes and skin irritation beneath the breasts
- Feelings of self-consciousness from having over-developed breasts
- Benefits of Breast Reduction in Birmingham
Patients who have breast reduction surgery at Schaffer Plastic Surgery in Birmingham are typically delighted with their results. In this procedure, Dr. Schaffer can make the breasts smaller, lighter, and symmetrical, as well as firmer, perkier, with a lovelier, more youthful shape. Many women feel better about their bodies and less self-conscious after this procedure. Clothes tend to fit and look better when breast size and shape are in proportion to the rest of the body.
This procedure may be covered by health insurance if it is determined to be medically necessary. Surgery to reduce the size and weight of the breasts can alleviate physical discomfort and remove limitations on physical activities associated with overly large breasts. If the condition of your breasts makes you a good candidate for breast reduction surgery, get in touch with our office in Birmingham, AL to schedule a consultation with Dr. Christopher Schaffer.