What Is Post-Bariatric Contouring?
Body contouring after major weight loss is a combination of surgical procedures performed to improve the shape of underlying support tissues and remove excess fat deposits and sagging skin. The result is smoother contours and more pleasing body proportions.
Dr. Schaffer can custom-tailor a post-bariatric contouring plan specifically for you. Depending on your unique needs, procedures in your treatment plan may include:
- Arm lift: This surgery is performed to correct sagging in the upper arms, which is common after major weight loss.
- Upper body lift: A combination of procedures can be performed to lift the upper body, which may include breast lift, male breast reduction, upper arm lift or liposuction to remove fat rolls along the back.
- Medial thigh lift: This procedure is performed to reduce excess fat and skin on the upper portion of the inner thighs.
- Lateral thigh lift: This involves removal of excess skin on the outer thighs and may include liposuction to remove excess fat.
- Lower body lift: Various procedures can correct sagging in the buttocks, abdomen and inner and outer thighs.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Post-Bariatric Contouring
If you have lost a substantial amount of weight with the assistance of bariatric surgery and now have stretched tissues and excess skin masking your results, body contouring may be recommended to put the final touches on the transformation.
You may be a good candidate for post-bariatric body contouring if:
- Your general health is good
- Your weight loss has fully stabilized
- Massive weight loss has left you with excess drooping tissue throughout the body or in isolated areas
To find out if you are a good candidate for this surgery, schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Schaffer at Schaffer Plastic Surgery in Birmingham. If the treatment is appropriate, after a thorough review of your medical history, evaluation of your anatomy and discussion of your cosmetic goals, Dr. Schaffer can design an individual treatment plan for you.