What Is Power-Assisted Liposuction?
In a liposuction procedure, fat is removed from the body through cannulas (thin hollow tubes) inserted through small incisions strategically placed for fat extraction in the targeted areas. In traditional liposuction, the surgeon mechanically dislodges fat cells from the surrounding tissues by moving the cannula back and forth through the fatty tissue. It is not always possible to remove all the unwanted fat with this method.
Power-assisted liposuction is performed using a special cannula that breaks up fat cells with tiny vibrations after which they can be suctioned more easily out of the body. The smaller, more precise motions of the rapidly vibrating cannula tip make it possible to target specific areas for fat removal without causing damage to the surrounding tissue.
The tumescent technique is used with power-assisted liposuction. This involves injecting fluid containing local anesthetic (lidocaine) and a synthetic form of adrenaline (epinephrine) into the area being treated before liposuction is performed. The fluid causes compartments of fat to swell and become accessible for easier removal, with the benefit of reducing post-surgical swelling and bleeding.
Advantages of Power-Assisted Liposuction
Liposuction technology has made great advances in recent years and power-assisted liposuction is a major breakthrough in the field. This cutting-edge technique has significant advantages for both surgeons and patients:
- The device gives surgeons better control for more thorough and precise fat removal.
- More fat can be removed in less time for a safer procedure, faster recovery and enhanced results.
- The cannula used in power-assisted liposuction is much smaller in diameter than the traditional cannula, allowing for smaller incisions, faster healing and minimal scarring.
- Fat is loosened with vibrations of the cannula tip for a gentler procedure that significantly reduces bruising and recovery time.
- This technique can be used to sculpt difficult-to-treat areas, including male breasts, the inner thighs and the area around the navel.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Power-Assisted Liposuction in Birmingham?
Contrary to a common misconception, liposuction is not an appropriate weight loss method. Good candidates for power-assisted liposuction are men and women who exercise and eat a healthy diet but have been unable to resolve areas of stubborn fat. At Schaffer Plastic Surgery in Birmingham, Dr. Shaffer performs power-assisted liposuction in areas such as the hips, thighs, belly, back and upper arms to create a slimmer, smoother physique.