Body contouring is a cosmetic procedure designed to sculpt and reshape your body to improve your appearance. While this is not a weight loss procedure, many patients find that it provides revolutionary results, ultimately boosting their confidence and giving them a look they love.
For comprehensive results, patients typically undergo a series of body contouring procedures to remove excess skin and fat on their bodies. Body contouring is a popular option among patients who have recently lost a significant amount of weight, as it helps to sculpt their body in the aftermath of that transformation. An experienced cosmetic surgeon will recommend a combination of surgical procedures to provide the patient with personalized results.
Reasons To Get a Body Contouring Procedure
While patients opt to have this procedure performed for a variety of reasons, the top reasons for getting a body contouring procedure include:
- To address specific areas of the body that are difficult to improve with diet and exercise alone.
- To minimize excess skin and sculpt the body after significant weight loss.
- To reduce the impact of aging by improving loose or wrinkled skin.
Body Contouring Options
The body contouring procedure is generally personalized to suit the needs of each patient. It consists of a combination of procedures to provide you with the results you expect. Dr. Christopher Schaffer offers both non-surgical and surgical body contouring options.
There are two non-surgical body contouring options to consider:
- Coolsculpting — Coolsculpting is an FDA-approved fat removal solution that uses cool technology to freeze fat away. It can be used in specific areas of the body, such as under the chin and jawline, underneath the upper arms, around the thighs and around the abdomen, among other places.
- SculpSure — SculpSure is another non-surgical body contouring system designed to minimize fat in hard-to-reach areas, such as around the belly, near the love handles and around the thighs.
The surgical options available for body contouring include:
- Arm Lift — Many patients who lose a significant amount of weight experience sagging near the upper arms. The brachioplasty, or arm lift surgery, can reduce the amount of excess skin in this area.
- Upper Body Lift — The upper body lift consists of a combination of procedures, such as the breast lift and liposuction, to improve the upper body’s appearance.
- Medial Thigh Lift — This cosmetic surgery procedure focuses on the upper portion of the inner thighs and may reduce excess fat in this area.
- Lateral Thigh Lift — The lateral thigh lift focuses on the outer thighs. During this procedure, the surgeon will reduce the amount of excess skin in the area, and liposuction may be performed to reduce excess fat.
- Lower Body Lift — The lower body lift consists of a combination of procedures, such as the buttocks lift and liposuction, to improve the appearance of the lower body.
- Breast Lift — A breast lift is a cosmetic surgery that reduces excess skin and tightens muscles to improve the appearance of sagging breasts.
- Facelift — The facelift procedure also may benefit patients who have experienced significant weight loss. During this procedure, the surgeon may improve the appearance of sagging skin around the face, jowls and neck.
- Tummy Tuck — The tummy tuck is a cosmetic surgery procedure that reduces the amount of excess skin and fat in the abdominal area.
The Body Contouring Recovery Process
Most patients are pleasantly surprised by the minimal downtime after the body contouring procedure. The total recovery time will vary based on the procedures that were performed, but typically, patients who opt for surgical procedures are able to return to work in about two weeks.
Surgical body contouring patients should avoid strenuous exercise and heavy lifting for at least six weeks. Generally, patients who opt for non-surgical body contouring treatments do not have any downtime or restrictions after their procedure.
Who Is an Ideal Candidate for This Procedure?
You may be a good candidate for body contouring if:
- You are in good general health.
- You have been able to maintain your weight loss and your weight loss journey has stabilized.
- You have experienced significant weight loss and want to improve the appearance of sagging skin in specific areas.
Body contouring is a cosmetic procedure that can help patients feel as if they have completed their weight loss journey. When you have put in the hard work and effort required to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle, body contouring can reward you with the look you have long hoped for.
For more information about the body contouring procedure and to find out if it is the right cosmetic surgery for you, contact Dr. Christopher Schaffer today and set up a consultation appointment.