Most women undergo labiaplasty to support a higher quality of life. Whether women undergo labiaplasty for aesthetic reasons or physical discomfort caused by enlarged labia minora, we know how eager our patients are to resume their normal activities after this simple procedure. We provide specific instructions to our patients on how to progress through the phases of recovery as quickly and safely as possible to ensure the best possible outcomes.
Foundations for Smooth Labiaplasty Recoveries
Even though labiaplasty is a simple procedure, delicate tissues are involved that must be well cared for during the recovery period. Recovery from a labiaplasty takes six weeks, and during that time, it is crucial to follow your instructions from Schaffer Plastic Surgery to have the fastest recovery possible. Some important labiaplasty recovery tips include:
- Restricting your activity level (this is a time to rest and relax as much as possible)
- Abstain from sexual intercourse
- Take your pain medication as prescribed
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke—this can interfere with the body’s natural healing process
- Skip baths as they may lead to infection
- Keep the area iced as much as possible to reduce swelling and minimize pain
- Elevate the area
What to Expect During Recovery from Labiaplasty
Labiaplasty recovery will slightly differ from woman to woman since no two procedures are ever exactly alike. In general, most women can expect their recovery to proceed as follows:
- Day One: After the surgery, you can return to the comfort of your home. You will take prescribed anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving medication. You may experience some bleeding.
- Days Two and Three: The bleeding usually subsides by this point in the recovery process. Keeping the area iced is particularly important during this time to help ease any pain. The cold will also reduce swelling and calm inflamed skin.
- Days Four and Five: Most women can begin walking, though it is normal to experience tiredness. You will also notice that your vagina is starting to look normal and is healing.
- Days Six and Seven: We typically remove stitches on the seventh day. With stitches removed, healing will speed up and comfort will increase.
- Week Two: You will continue with pain and anti-inflammatory medications and may do light exercises. You will need to continue avoiding intense exercise and intimacy.
- Week Three: Sitting more comfortably becomes possible in the third week. You may also gradually increase the intensity of your exercise this week.
- Weeks Four through Six: You can begin carefully returning to your usual activities.
Start Living Life BeautifullySchedule a Consultation
Life After Labiaplasty
Once your labiaplasty has fully healed, your life should regain normality and you can enjoy all aspects of life. Rest assured, sexual sensations should not be affected by labiaplasty since nerves are not removed or damaged. On the contrary, after labiaplasty, many women report enhanced sexual sensitivity. Additionally, women who had previously experienced discomfort from the friction created by clothing should find that this is no longer problematic. Women who were unable to wear specific types of swimwear should enjoy newfound freedom in swimwear selection. Life after labiaplasty is typically exhilarating for women who were previously bothered by their large or asymmetrical labia.
Labiaplasty at Schaffer Plastic Surgery
Labiaplasty at Schaffer Plastic Surgery occurs in our private, state-of-the-art outpatient surgical facility that holds full accreditation from the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities. Located directly across the road from Grandview Medical Center, our facility offers ample convenient parking and a luxurious waiting area for your loved ones. As a surgeon who is deeply committed to patient safety, Dr. Schaffer follows up with every single patient, often providing his cell phone number in case of emergencies. Choosing Schaffer Plastic Surgery for your labiaplasty is a choice that ensures your safety and most ideal results.
To learn more about labiaplasty recovery and how to schedule a consultation, call our office at 205.278.7969.